Often times, when people think about health, they may instinctively have the idea of physical health alone in mind such that if a person is not seriously ill, then, such a person may be termed healthy. However, this is actually not entirely true because health in itself is an encompassing word, comprising of all round wellness. This indicates that being healthy ideally means being at a state of complete physical, mental and social wellbeing and not just the absence of sickness. There should be a balance in all aspects of an individual’s functioning leading to a state of optimal human functioning in which one is thriving physically, mentally and socially. This is the state of flourishing. This also does not indicate the absence of difficult times, rather, it implies that in spite of the hard times, such individuals are resilient that is, having the ability to bounce back no matter the difficulty they encounter. Some other characteristics of individuals that are flourishing include:
- They choose to dwell on positive emotions rather than dwelling on negative ones which in turn affects how they feel. This is why individuals that are flourishing often tend to feel positive because they choose to dwell on positive emotions. On the other hand, when people dwell on negative emotions, they tend to feel negative most of the time. It is also true that our thoughts become our feelings and our feelings become our actions. Wouldn’t you rather choose to dwell on positive emotions so that you can feel positive and act positively?
- They have self-love because they have accepted themselves with their strengths as well as weaknesses and have chosen to love themselves regardless. It is important to note that people who love themselves are not perfect but rather, they have cultivated self-acceptance and the willingness to continue to improve on themselves as they grow in life.
- They have Love for others and this is simply because they have love for themselves in the first place then they can extend that love and positive regard to others as well.
- They have a healthy self-esteem not because they are flawless but because they appreciate themselves and understand their uniqueness. Therefore, they are assertive and confident in all they do.
- They are open minded to the point of view of others as opposed to being closed minded and they are willing to learn from every experience. They are also willing to unlearn what is not helpful to them by replacing them with more productive ideas and more positive lifestyle.
- They are content with themselves while being intentional about their visions, goals and objectives in life, they also have an understanding of what it means to enjoy every moment.
- They engage in healthy relationships that are mutually benefiting and fulfilling. They also seek to add value to the lives of others and their relationships are more productive as well.
- They are able to find happiness within themselves and spread it to others. They don’t rely on external factors to make them happy, rather, they find happiness in themselves, the kind of happiness that no one can take away from them. It is true happiness!
- They are optimistic and hopeful about the future because they take out time to carefully plan their future and envision it, they become more hopeful and secure about the future. They are also able to figure out alternatives if or when their plans don’t turn out as expected.
- They are grateful and express gratitude for everything, the popular saying that whatever you appreciate, appreciates is so apt because gratitude is so powerful that it enriches our lives.
- They take positive steps to ensure optimal physical wellbeing, a positive lifestyle is typical for individuals that are flourishing as they ensure proper diet, regular exercises, adequate sleep and other necessary aspects of physical functioning.
- They live a life of vitality all round such individuals are found to be energetic and strong as a result of the positive lifestyle that they have chosen to live by.
When we take these positive steps in our everyday lives, we begin to flourish as we grow in life no matter the gravity of life’s challenges, we can bounce back to flourishing at all times. I choose to flourish, what about you?
Kindly follow me on twitter @DrMorayojimoh for more interesting updates on #Flourishing