For children to perform better on mental tasks, they need environments and interactions that help expand their intellects and mental abilities. Cognitive development is a continuous process of discovering, sorting, classifying, evaluating, visualizing, understanding and using information to solve problems. Childhood is not only a period of amazing physical growth, it is also a time of remarkable mental development. Cognitive abilities associated with memory, reasoning, problem-solving and thinking continue to emerge throughout childhood.
The whole process a child uses to organize information involves;
- Acquiring information (perception)
- Selecting information (Attention)
- Representing information (Understanding)
- Retaining information (memory)
- Usage of the information to guide behaviour (reasoning and coordination of motor outputs).
Therefore, enhancing cognitive function of a child is directed at improving any of these.
You can improve on the cognitive function of your kids and have smarter kids by using any of the following:
- Brain Training Games: these are computerized and non-computerized games aimed at enhancing brain function and improving memory, examples of brain training games include Brainware safari, Smart Brain Training, Number racer & Logico. These will help to :
- Improve working memory
- Increase targeted skills such as logical and mathematical skills
- Improve concentration and perception abilities
- Improve problem solving and idea association skills
- Improving reasoning skills
- Achieve focus
- Increase attention span
- Audio-Visual Entrainment Devices
Audio-Visual Entrainment devices (A.V.E) influences brainwaves and is an extremely effective, non-invasive method of rapidly re-educating the brain’s natural ‘balance-point’. By flashing lights through an eye set and pulsing tones through headphones, gently guiding the child into various brainwave states. After a short period of time, the brain begins produce the same frequency as at when it is needed. The use of Audio-Visual Entrainment devices (A.V.E) will help your child in the following ways:
- Increase SMR brain waves to improve attention, focus and concentration
- Help assimilation of new information thereby improving working memory.
- Help to accelerate learning
- Improve your child’s mental performance
- Enhance creativity
- Improve problem solving skills
- Expand perception
- Improve whole brain function by balancing the two hemispheres of the brain
- Mindfulness: This involves children actively paying attention to their emotions, thoughts and sensations occurring in the present moment in a non-judgemental manner. mindfulness aims at:
- Improving attention and focus leading to better performance
- Improving assimilation thereby boosting retention ability
- Reducing stress
- Improving resilience.
- Boosting self-esteem.
- Building a better ability to regulate one-self.
- Improving mood
- Improving both physical and mental health.
Making the right investment for your children is the one of the greatest investments for life. For more information on any of these services visit: http//www.mobilehealthconsult.org.